Monday, October 31, 2005

New Nominee

Today the President nominated Judge Samuel Alito to fill the spot that will be vacant by the retirment of Associate Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. This was a swift replacement for the derailed nomination of White House Counsel Harriet Miers.

In typical blowhard fashion, Senate Minority Leader, Harry Reid, said; “The Senate needs to find out if the man replacing Miers is too radical for the American people,”. The American public knew that George H. W. Bush would nominate conservative people to the Supreme Court, and they STILL voted for him in record numbers. Maybe Senator Reid should stop with the partisanship rhetoric and just do the right thing for a change. He backed Harriet Miers because he knew she didn't have a chance of being confirmed. He liked the idea that the President (and possibly the Republicans) would look badly by having made this nomination.

I am so disgusted by the actions of Democrats like Reid, Schumer, Kennedy, Durbin, Biden, Feinstein, Boxer, Lieberman, and Clinton who put party lines before the good of the American public that they were elected to serve. I even expect that blowhard Nancy Pelosi from the House to pipe in with her two cents. And then the liberal politicos will be mouthing off as well. I'm just waiting to see what that idiot Al Franken has to say, as well as people like Rachel Maddow & the like.

Already that impotent fool, Charles Schumer, has spewed his crap regarding the nomination. He calls Alito "controversial" and says that there will be a fight for confirmation. I'll bet this is a speech that had a "fill-in-the-blank" section for whomever got the nominee. I wish someone would just tell this moron to SHUT UP! Schumer is trying to say this will shift the balance of the court, implying that Sandra Day O'Connor was a swing vote on many issues. In fact, she voted with the conservative Chief Justice 80% of the time. Hardly a swing vote if it was only 1 out of 5 votes up for grabs. Schumer admits to not knowing much about Alito, but he believes that he can make a snap judgment about him. It's just a chance for him to whore himself in front of the cameras ONCE AGAIN.

I am from Pennsylvania, and I pay attention to what goes on in the courts. This Judge is fair, intelligent, and has more of a Libertarian slant (like myself) than an ultra-conservative one. I agree with his view that a middle eastern woman had the right to file for asylum because her home country had laws that oppress the rights of women. He also said that a school can be sued if they don't protect students from excessive bullying. Alito also said that a school can't stop a student from saying profanity, as long as it doesn't disrupt the regular activity of the school day. (what RADICALLY conservative ideas)

The main point of contention will be his decision in the case of Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Alito was the lone dissenter, in which the 3rd Circuit struck down a Pennsylvania law that required women seeking abortions to inform their husbands. Alito argued that the Pennsylvania law's restrictions should have been upheld. "The Pennsylvania Legislature could have rationally believed," Alito wrote, "that some married women are initially inclined to obtain an abortion without their husbands' knowledge because of perceived problems -- such as economic constraints, future plans, or the husbands' previously expressed opposition -- that may be obviated by discussion prior to the abortion." The case went on to the Supreme Court, resulting in a 6-3 decision that reaffirmed Roe v. Wade and struck down the spousal notification provision of the law. Chief Justice William Rehnquist, in his dissent, quoted Alito's underlying dissent and said he agreed with his reasoning.

Again, I agree with his reasoning. I am a man who has a son. The mother made a decision to get pregnant without consulting me. (She "claimed" to have gone on birth control injections so that I would stop using condoms) I don't agree with abortion. (except in the case of the mother's life being in danger, and possibly a pregnancy due to rape/incest) I asked her to marry me, but the marriage never happened. Now I must pay child support for a child I am rarely allowed to see. I love my son, but I hate the system that allowed me to be victimized like I have been.

The left talks about woman's rights on this issue, but what about a man's rights? If I want to have the child, but the mother does not, I can't stop her from killing my child. Conversely, if I don't want the child, and the mother does, I can't force her to abort a child I will have to pay support for - for at least 18 years. Why isn't the father allowed input? It takes two people to cause a pregnancy to happen, so two people should have equal rights on the subject. I don't know if I want the government getting involved with abritration in a dispute, but SOMETHING should be done to protect the rights of men.

Judge Alito deserves a fair vote by the full Senate. The liberal Democrats who hate anything not of their kind, need to stop the rhetoric & just listen to what the man has to say. I am disappointed that it wasn't a woman nominated, but Judge Alito is a great choice. I really thought that it would be Judge Priscilla Owen, but I was wrong about that.

If Judge Alito gets confirmed, it will be a balanced Court - 4 liberals, 1 moderate, and 4 conservatives. You really can't ask for more, unless you want a stacked deck in your favor.

And some want just that. Yeah, I'm talking to you Senators Schumer & Kennedy.